Monday, September 8, 2008

The Great Wall at Mutianyu







Today is our Great Wall day. I found a travel co. on the internet yesterday that had what we were looking for, pick up at our hotel a half day at the wall and a Peking Duck lunch. Iko, our guide picked us up this morning at 8:30 which was so nice since we have had to walk everywhere the past 4 days. She took all 8 of us in a van up to the Great Wall Mutianyu which we heard was a less touristy part of the wall. She spoke very good enlgish and was a very pleasant and funny lady.





When we got there we took a cable car up to the wall, we actually got the same cable car President Clinton rode up in back in 1998...ooooh aahhh. I know you are all jealous!





The wall was amazing as you can imagine or as some of you know. We stayed and walked around for a couple of hours and then headed through the sea of sharks trying to sell crap on the way back to the van. It turns out Shane is a very good bargainer. After our wall adventure our guide Iko took us to a restaurant famous for Peking Duck...YUMMY! It was a very good lunch. I tried rabbit for the first time, I know it's not that adventurous but pretty darn good. We are saving the good stuff for the night markets. I am so happy that I found Iko, it was a perfect day and she took care of everything. We are having her take us to see the Xian Terracotta Warriors once the games are over.

5 comments:

kristi said...

Hello friends!
I am glad to see ya'll got there safely! It looks like such an awesome experience. Keep the pictures coming and remember...i do not recommend eating chicken feet!!
lotsa loves - Jason, Kristi and Kiah Bree!!

sandy said...

Great Great Wall pix! And I'm excited to hear you are planning to go to Xian!

Are you getting used to the "hole in the ground" toilets? It just takes a little practice, good balance and reasonably strong quads!

So who was teaching who the sign language at Shut Up Just Drink?

KcKell said...

(初次见面)您好!

Im on a diet where all I eat is Del Scorcho and have to learn one chinese phrase a week!

Great pics guys! Out of all the meals you have had so far in China, is there one dish that you absolutley loved?? What do you drink with dinner if water (and ice) is a concern? Bottle water? Hot tea? JW

Tell Wags I say Hi and that he is gold in my heart. And let me know when you try something "delicate".

Kim Snyder said...

Hi guys...Kc Shane says he will be expecting a hug right when we get back :-)
The whole in the ground for the toilet I am getting used to but when I see an actual toilet boy that is an exciting thing.
Food has been good but nothing has been fabulous. I think the Duck and Rabbit have been my favorites. Shane still doesn't enjoy Duck. With meals we drink water or Coke and coffee and juice for breakfast. Today we head for the Tennis Center....think good thoughts! LOVE YOU ALL

sandy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

I looked up "Wedding Anniversaries" on Google to see what gifts were suggested for the second. Would you believe - China! As in tableware, fine china and china jewelry - not an actual trip to China! You are definitely setting high standards for future anniversaries. :-)

I read that tennis was postponed due to rain. Hope the weather clears up soon.
xxxooo